The US Lacrosse Diversity & Inclusion Essay Contest is an annual education and awareness initiative designed to promote inclusion and equality in our sport. We celebrate that anyone from anywhere should be able to play and compete, and our mission is to showcase our sport’s diversity and to promote acceptance. Our ultimate goal is to strengthen the future of our youth through inspiration and opportunity.
Our question for 2017 is:
How does the diversity of your team and inclusion of all players make your lacrosse experience better?
The contest winner receives exclusively designed Encore Brand team shooting shirts (up to 25 shirts for their whole team). Encore Brand is a lacrosse lifestyle company created by former Major League Lacrosse and National Lacrosse League player and University of Virginia All-American Johnny Christmas.
The 2017 contest will remain open through February 28, 2017. There will be two winning entries selected, and the winners will be notified by email by March 5, 2017.
To enter the contest, send your completed essay and a picture of you and your team. You must submit your entry via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Any other form of entry will not be accepted.
Please note-- DO NOT begin filling out the essay submission form until you save it to your computer. Open the form that is saved on your computer and start typing your answers in the fields. Remember to continue to save your form to your computer.
Completed entries must include the following:
- Applicant’s name
- School or team name
- Grade in school
- Contact information (phone number, e-mail and home address)
- Team photo
- If the applicant is under 18 years of age, he or she must include the name of a coach or parent and contact information for that individual (phone number, e-mail and home address).
- Every eligible, complete entry will have the opportunity to be selected. Odds of winning the contest depend upon the number of eligible entries received between the opening and closing of the contest.
- Essays must be submitted to US Lacrosse by e-mail by the stated deadline. Late or incomplete submissions will not be considered.
- Entries must include a complete essay (preferred length is 150-250 words) and a team photo.
- If prize notification is returned as undeliverable, prize will be forfeited and an alternate winner will be selected.
- Prizes are not transferable and may not be redeemed for cash or other considerations.
- The contest is open to all current students and coaches.
- Entries must be the original work of the student(s) or coach.
- Entries become the property of US Lacrosse and will not be returned. Winners consent to the use of their name, biographical information, photographs and/or likeness for advertising and publicity purposes without additional compensation, except where prohibited or restricted by law.
Essays will be judged on:
1. Quality of writing
2. Relevance of topic
3. Creativity and uniqueness
4. Adherence to guidelines